WHAT IS A CROSS FOLD SYSTEM?
Cross folds are made when a sheet of paper is folded in one direction, and then folded again from the side. These are pictures of basic cross folds. It is folded in half or thirds and then again from the side.
Few machines can perform a cross fold. Machines that can require 2 passes to create a cross fold because the second fold is done from the side. So you fold it lengthwise, reset for the second fold, and then put it through again from the side. The second pass requires the full-time presence of an operator. It is slow and hard to perform without jamming.
PAPERFOLDER CROSS FOLD SYSTEMS
PaperFolder Cross Fold Systems solve these problems and can fold paper into much smaller sizes, down to 1/5 the length x 1/2 (knife system) or 1/4 (conveyor system) the width of the paper.
Why? Because our Cross Fold Systems combine a 4 plate folding machine with either a knife folder or a conveyor fed 2 plate folding machine which can perform 2 folds for a total of 6 possible folds.
The first machine has 4 fold plates rather than 2 like most machines. So, for example, you could fold a piece of paper into 5 panels with the first folder, and then do one more fold from the side with this (knife) machine. If you need more folds on the second folder, see our conveyor fed cross fold system.
POSSIBLE FOLDS ON THE 14" KNIFE CROSS FOLD SYSTEM
The PaperFolder KNIFE 14" Cross Fold System can fold very small package inserts. This is because the first machine has 4 fold plates rather than 2. It is limited to 1 fold on the second machine, normally in half. It delivers each folded piece to the second machine as they are folded by the first. This eliminates the feed problems that occur when using one machine to do 2 passes.
The PF Knife14 Cross Fold System can fold sheets of paper ranging from 5.5" x 8.5" to 8.5" x 14" in these folds. It can perform even smaller folds on some paper.
The PF knife 17 cross fold system can fold up to 17" paper and the PF Conveyor Cross fold System can make 2 folds on the second fold rather than one.
Please call if your needs exceed these:
FIRST FOLDER SETUP
1. Set the stack of paper into the Feed Tray pressing down the front part of the tray to put the paper under the feed rollers. Then move the paper guides on each side to the edge of the paper.
2. Move the stops on the fold plates as shown in the operators manual for the type of fold you want to perform.
3. Set the output wheels or the stacker as shown in the manual for the type of fold and size paper you have.
4. (Optional) Set the counter for the number of pieces you want to fold.
SECOND (CROSS FOLD) SETUP
1. Place the folding machine in back of the first folder as shown in the Operating Manual. Set the fold at 1/2 of the size of the width of the paper.
2. Run one or 2 samples. Make any adjustments as shown in the operators manual. Microadjustment knobs are used to fine-tune the fold resulting in crisp and accurate folds every time. The PF Cross Fold System can handle a variety of paper sizes and weights (see Specifications), but not glossy or coated papers.
3. Start the run. The operator should not leave the machine while it is running.
4. You can stop the machine at any time by pushing the Stop button. The machine will stop when the paper input tray is empty.
The control panel will display these messages when an error occurs:
NO PAPER/ # Paper has run out. # is number of pieces folded so far.
PAPER ERROR Paper Jam or sensor needs cleaning
OVERLOAD Motor is overloaded
Please call if you would like to discuss your jobs with us or have questions. 800-520-6008.